Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Savor the Moment!

During my recent trip to Europe, I was amazed at the relaxed atmosphere that was present everywhere I went. Stores closed at lunch so the shopkeepers could go home and eat with their families. People strolled through the streets enjoying the sights. Conversation, laughter, and camaraderie prevailed. The contrast to life in the United States was painfully apparent.

In America, we seem to be perpetually racing from one thing to another - chasing happiness, fulfillment, and joy. These qualities often appear to be just a tad out of our reach, and so the endless cycle keeps repeating itself. We put off vacations because we're too busy! We work extra hours to save money to enjoy when we retire. We would never dream of closing our stores to go home for lunch. Friends and family get put on hold until we can make time for them. Our own needs get placed on the backburner.

Perhaps we need to take a step back and think about what it is we are actually pursuing so diligently. Making lots of money, achieving more and more, competing with our friends and relatives, and outshining our neighbors can be empty rewards when they cost us time with the very people we love, take a toll on our health, disconnect us from our surroundings, and leave us feeling drained. When we learn to savor each moment, we bring the very happiness we are searching for into our daily lives!

If you want to create joy and happiness for yourself in the present moment, as well as in the future, begin to ask yourself the following questions. Let your own answers guide you.
  1. What makes me happy?

  2. How can I experience more happiness right now in my life?

  3. What's missing for me as I go through my days/weeks/years?

  4. What drains me of joy, energy, and happiness?

  5. How can I eliminate some of these things starting today?

  6. In what areas do I need to give myself some slack?

  7. What is one experience I want to enjoy to the fullest today?

  8. If I were to do something special for myself, what would it be?

  9. Who do I want to spend more time with?

Copyright © 2008 by Holly Cox, L.C.P.C., C.D.C.®

No comments:

INDULGE YOURSELF WITH THESE BATHBOMBS FROM LUSH!

Read Books by Phenomenal Life Coaches