Friday, July 18, 2008

Where Do You Place Your Attention?

This afternoon, I found myself laughing and having fun in one moment and feeling sad and close to tears in the next.   Years ago, my dark moods would have lasted much longer.  However, today it didn't take long before I was once again looking on the bright side of life.  

How did my moods shift so quickly?  Well, I've learned that while I can't do much about the blues entering my life occasionally, I can definitely do something about how long they stay to visit.  It is all a matter of where I place my attention.  You see, today I saw the movie, "Mamma Mia" and  laughed and giggled through most of it.  I could definitely relate to Mamma!  But then, as I related to her memories of her daughter's childhood, I began to feel the sadness sweep into my heart and body.  I focused on the fact that time has passed so quickly in my own life, and I felt a great sense of nostalgia for all the funny little things my children did when they were much younger.  In that particular moment, I felt old and tired and knew I needed to shift my attention in order to transform my mood.  So I reminded myself of all the great things going on in my life right now.  
  • I enjoy talking and laughing with my "adult" children, my family and my friends. 
  • I'm alive and surrounded by people and things I love and who love me.
  • I get to travel to Europe every year as a chaperone for a high school trip.
  • I've taught myself how to build a website and create blogs this past year.  
  • I love celebrating life and exploring all the possibilities open to me.  
  • My dog, Gigi, brings sunshine and love into my life.
  • I have much to be thankful for.   The list could go on and on.
Once I turned my attention to my blessings, the dark mood vanished in an instant.   It is so empowering to recognize the degree to which we can take control of our thinking and affect our moods in a positive way.  So the next time you feel a dark cloud hovering over your day, ask yourself these two questions.  What have I been thinking about?  What would I need to pay attention to in order to feel better?

No comments:

INDULGE YOURSELF WITH THESE BATHBOMBS FROM LUSH!

Read Books by Phenomenal Life Coaches